Cuban Adventure with International Veterinary Seminars
Experience the culture, history and natural beauty of Cuba with International Veterinary Seminars and Bio Bio Expeditions!
From the moment you land in Havana, Cuba, you will begin to see why those who travel to Cuba can’t help but fall in the love with the country and it’s people. Your trip will include visits to Revolution Square and El Morrow Castle for a look at the varied history of Cuba. You will also get many opportunities to see everyday life, including a farmers’ market visit to see La Libreta, the ration book system, in use as well as a visit to an organic farm to learn of the famous tobacco cultivation.
You then go to the countryside for snorkeling at Cueva de los Peces, located in the Bay of Pigs. Hiking in the Topes de Collantes National Park will be a welcome reprieve from the heat of the valley as the park is situated at 2,600 feet!
Along the way, your accommodations will not only be at the Hotel Capri in Havana, but also bed and breakfasts where you can interact with locals on a much more personal level. You will also be guided by expert local guides who take pride in their country and as such, like to give you the most authentic experience possible.
Along the way, Dr Virginia Luis Fuentes will provide 18 CE hours on “practical cardiology”.
Seminar registration fee for 18 CE hrs: $795.00
All are welcome including spouses and friends- only the veterinarian attending needs to register for the CE.
- Chronic management of the cardiac patient
- Utilizing the latest cardiac drugs
- Learn an organized, logical approach to the diagnosis and management of both the occult and overt forms of acquired heart disease in the dog and cat
- Review the diagnostic tests routinely employed in the evaluation of patients with cardiovascular disease
- Hypertension in small animal medicine: Is it clinically relevant? This segment will focus on how and why routine evaluation of blood pressure is clinically important. It will review common canine and feline diseases that are associated with hypertension as well as those diseases that may be exacerbated by undiagnosed hypertension. Finally, clinical management of hypertension will be discussed with emphasis on when to treat and what constitutes a rational therapeutic target.
How should I manage:
- Asymptomatic mitral valve regurgitation?
- Atrial fibrillation in dogs?
- Ventricular tachycardias?
- Asymptomatic dilated cardiomyopathy?
- Congestive heart failure in dogs?
- Feline cardiac disease
- Coughing dog with cardiomegaly and no pulmonary edema?
- When should I use pimobendan?
- How and when should I evaluate BNP?
- When do I recommend a radiograph and/or an echocardiogram?
- How do i manage asymptomatic cats with a murmur
- Clinical cases will be also presented for group discussion
Arrive in Havana, Cuba by 11am. After meeting your guide and group at 1pm, you will visit Revolution Square followed by lunch at a charming restaurant. Then, tour El Morrow Castle and take a ferry ride across the harbor. Evening orientation and dinner. (L+D)
Walking tour of Old Havana followed by a bicycle taxi to a local farmers’ market to see La Libreta, the ration book system, in everyday life. In the afternoon, you will have free time to explore. Evening visit to Jose Fuster’s house with dinner (B+L+D)
Early morning drive through the Cuban countryside to Vinales Valley where you will visit local farmers and learn about tobacco cultivation. In the afternoon, you will hike through the beautiful Vinales Valley. (B+L)
In the morning, you will have a meeting with the Antonio Jiminez Conservation Society, then explore Havana by electric bike. Following lunch, you will drive to Playa Larga and check-in to your bed and breakfast. (B+L+D)
Snorkeling at Cueva de los Peces and lunch nearby. After lunch, depart for Cienfuegos and enjoy a walking tour upon arrival. Continuing on to Trinidad, where you will check into your bed and breakfast for the next 2 nights. (B+L+D)
Hiking in Topes de Collantes National Park followed by a traditional lunch in the countryside. Free time in the afternoon in the town of Trinidad with a sunset tour in the early evening. (B+L)
After breakfast, you will return to Havana and tour Finca Vigia, Ernest Hemingway’s home when he lived in Cuba. Lunch in the picturesque fishing village of Cojimar followed by visiting art galleries or San Jose Handicraft Market. Farewell dinner with a visit to the Vedado neighborhood. (B+L+D)
After breakfast, departure flight for home. (B)