Bio Bio Expeditions began as a whitewater rafting and kayaking company, yet through our years in Patagonia, our guides have developed a passion for fly fishing to match their passion for whitewater.
What makes our adventure travel company so unique is that we have pioneered fly fishing in whitewater, allowing you to fish eddies that are in between stretches of the Futaleufu River’s rapids and which can only be accessed by watercraft. A new challenge for many fly fishermen (and women), we have 3 catarafts which are professionally outfitted with state of the art fishing frames, casting platforms and swivel seats. Because of our highly professional whitewater skill, our fly fishing guides can put your boat in any spot on the Futaleufu that you like.
Additionally, our Futaleufu River Adventure Base Camp is ideally situated right on the river and right in the middle of one of the most beautiful, calm canyons on the “Fu”. Every morning you can fly fish the Futaleufu’s turquoise blue waters in front of our camp from a cataraft or cast from our put-in eddy just a moment’s walk from your riverfront bungalow. Truly a unique new place to test out your whitewater fly fishing skills!
Your adventure vacation on the Futaleufu River includes:
- Friendly service from your tent captain who delivers tea or coffee to your tent each morning
- Free use of our fleet of 14 suspension mountain bikes, whitewater kayaks and catarafts, and a variety of fishing equipment
- Yoga classes every morning and private yoga sessions on request
- A full range of multisport adventures…
- Fly fishing on the Futaleufu River – either from shore, or from a cataraft in the calm canyon in front of camp. First timers and experts welcome!
- Gourmet cuisine including freshly baked bread and fresh vegetables from an adjacent farm
- Candlelight dinners in our “Galpon” an open air log structure hand-built by our good friend and talented Chilean carpenter Rolando.
- Inflatable kayaking on the Azul River and Espolon River – the Futalefu’s two largest tributaries
- Horseback riding
- An evening of Chilean wine tasting
- A sunset “float” downstream to a beautiful beach for a riverside BBQ and campfire
- Visits to local farms to soak in the Patagonian culture
- Mountain biking or hiking on nearby scenic trails
- And, of course, whitewater rafting one of the most exciting, beautiful rivers in the world!