Peru Multi Sport with IVS
Hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is a true classic that should be on every adventurer’s “to-do” list. Exploring ancient paths and ruins in this spectacular setting will send shivers down your spine. This haunting fortress city nestled below stunning peaks is the greatest mystery of the Inca Empire. Beautiful Andean scenery, as well as cultural history, unfold as we hike up and down steep stone staircases past ancient Inca outposts. Your Peruvian porters will carry all of your gear and even set up your tent for you so you can enjoy this stunning trek. Your guide will explain the fascinating natural history along the trail, and the expert cooking staff will prepare and serve delicious meals.
The Amazon Jungle is a wildlife treasure, and is not to be missed by nature lovers. You’ll fly from Cuzco to Puerto Maldonado, where you will take a boat ride to the fantastic, Refugio Amazonas, where you’ll stay 2 nights. Naturalists will take you on walks and boat trips to explore some of the natural wonders the Tambopata National Reserve, including Oxbow Lake, a canopy tour and farm visit with ethnobotanical tour.
NEW THIS YEAR: If you would prefer to not hike the Inca Trail, we have an alternate itinerary that includes biking, sea kayaking a pristine lake, archaeological site visits and learning more about the Inca and Quechua cultures! You will get to explore the culture and ancient history of Peru and have the opportunity to meet the group at the Sun Gate in Machu Picchu. For more information, visit the itinerary section or give us a call!
Dr. Ross Palmer will provide a relaxed group discussion on a variety of orthopedic topics – you don’t need to be a surgeon to enjoy Ross’s presentations. Here are some of his topics:
1. Oh no … OA!
• What’s the skinny on weight loss?
• Are chondroprotectants worth the money?
• What’s the deal with avocado soy (ASU)?
• Are intra-articular injections of steroids or HA indicated?
• Is stem cell therapy the real deal?
2. Patellar Luxation
• Which cases warrant surgical treatment?
• Medial or lateral arthrotomy – which is best?
• Can you teach me to do a nice trochleoplasty?
• Which cases need a tibial crest transposition?
• Are there any tricks to feeling good about a tibial crest transposition?
• Are large breed dogs treated the same way?
3. Cranial Cruciate Ligament Disease
• Do you have any tricks for making an early diagnosis?
• Is it true that the ligament can be substantially torn without a detectable drawer sign?
• Can you teach me to do a nice lateral fabello-tibial suture stabilizaton?
• In which cases should I avoid using lateral fabello-tibial suture stabilization?
• What’s the story with the new TightRopeTMand related procedures?
• Is TPLO better than TTA or is it the other way around?
• Do you have any tips for visualizing and treating the meniscus?
4. Shoulder OCD
• I KNOW this pup has it …but I can’t find a radiographic lesion!?!
• The pup has bilateral radiographic lesions, but unilateral lameness…now what?
5. Elbow Dysplasia
• By the time I’m convinced, it’s too late! – Got any early diagnosis pointers?
• Are radiographs a waste of time and $ on the early cases?
• My agility trainer client went ballistic when I suggested UAP removal…what is the alternative?
• I suspect fragmented medial coronoid process…now what are the options?
6. Femoral Head & Neck Excision (FHNE)
• What are the most common indications for this procedure in practice?
• I’ve never done one…it seems pretty simple…how can I screw it up?
• Do you have any rehabilitation pointers?
Seminar registration fee for 18 CE hrs: $795.00
All are welcome including spouses and friends – only the veterinarian attending needs to register for the CE.